The industrial revolution has brought about tremendous economic prosperity to many countries around the world. These nations have been able to enhance the standard of living and life expectancy of their inhabitants. People in theseareas nowenjoy higher disposable incomes than those of other regions around the globe. However, industries to explore crude oil, mine coal, and burn fossil fuels are playing havoc on the environment. Rapid industrialization has led to a significant increase in greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, freshwater contamination, deforestation, and soil erosion. The continuation ofthis trend is likely to endanger Earth’sfragile ecosystems and the existence of the human race.
What environmental sustainability involves for industrial Corporations?
In recent years, conservationists in many parts of the world have been advocating the need for environmentally sustainable practices. However, mostpeople do not have a clear idea of what environmental sustainability involves and how it can positively affect their lives.Environmental sustainability refers to the responsibility of every human being to conserve the Earth’s natural resources and safeguarditsfragile ecosystem. This implies that people need to learn to interact with the Earth’s natural surroundings in a responsible manner. Otherwise, there will be adverse climate change, wildlife extinction, pollution, and ocean acidification. They cannot go on depleting the planet’s natural resources to meet their dailyneeds and compromise those of future generations.
Importance of environmental sustainability and role of industries
Environment sustainability aims at enhancing the quality ofhuman life on Planet Earth without putting undue strain on its supporting ecosystems. It involves creating an equilibrium between the consumerist culture people tend to adopt and the natural living world. Theyneed to understand that the Earth’s natural resources are finite and will eventually begin to deplete. People cannot go on consuming ever-increasing qualities of materials and non-renewable energy sources. In this context, companies in the industrial sector can play a critical role. These enterprises must take the initiative to adopt environmentallysustainable manufacturing practices, methodologies, and techniques when conducting their business operations. The corporations can achieve this objective by:
- Relying on more renewable energy sources to power theirmanufacturing processes.
- Replacing obsolete pieces of machinery with the ones that use the latest energy-efficient technology,
- Adopting technologies that reduce industrial waste and streamline production lines,
- Re-cyclingindustrial waste in a responsible manner,and
- Collaborating with environmentally- conscious business partners to manufacture new products.
Advantages of environmental sustainability for industries
The benefits of adopting environmentally sustainable manufacturing practices and techniques for companies in the industrial sector are:
- Results in greater cost savings through the adoption of energy-efficient technologies,
- Enables the enterprises to avail attractive tax incentives which minimize production costs,
- Boosts in a massive increase in sales as new customers show greater interest in their businesses, and
- Reduces their carbon footprints by limiting the release of harmful toxins to the atmosphere.
Having a clear understanding of what environmental sustainability involvesallows entrepreneurs operating companies in the industrial sector to change the way their conduct their businesses. They become open to adopting environmentally sustainable methods of production and energy-efficient technologies in their manufacturing processes. This enables them to do their bit in reducing their carbon footprints and preserving the Earth for future generations.